Monday, October 29, 2007

Digital Media Studio: 3D Lab

If you’ve gone to the movie theater recently, you must have noticed that animated films have been on the rise. But it isn’t only the film studios that know the importance of this new media, Tech has also gotten in on 3D animation.

Recently, the Texas Tech University Libraries opened the 3D Animation Lab. I spoke with Chris Starcher, the librarian in charge of the Digital Media Studio (DMS), the facility that operates the animation lab. My interview covers a little history behind the lab, what a student can expect to find there, and how to start making the next big animated hit.

Below are some helpful links to the lab and the DMS.

http://www.library.ttu.edu/3dlab/
http://library.ttu.edu/dms/

8 comments:

raiderj84 said...

The interview was extremely informative and you asked him great questions about a topic that not many people know too much about. I thought the audio sounded fine but it was a little low. Besides that this was a great episode, good job.

patrick.moreland said...

Nice job! I have always wondered about the media lab. I liked the intro question in your blog, good lead-in! I too noticed the volume slightly low. Interviewer was informative and a good speaker. Great job!

kristen said...

great topic. i had been wanting to find out more information on what the digital media studio was in the library. you might present this to them so that maybe they can post this on their website. the audio and everything sounded good to me. i also liked how you wrote the post for this podcast in the blog. definately got me intrigued to listen to the podcast.

Jacqueline Garza said...

I worked for Chris for a long time, I love him and he was the perfect person to interview for this episode. He gave a lot of good info. The only critique I have was that the interview had an echo which is dependent on where you recorded the interview. Overall, great info!

Max Bhakta said...

Good job with the podcast. Good idea to interview the head person of the DMS in the library. Good use of transition. During the interview, the volume was a little low so it was kind of difficult to hear some of the information. Otherwise, great job with the podcast overall.

TijerinaVideo said...

This is cool man. I've been up to the digital media lab but i haven't messed around with the 3D software yet. Using the head honcho of the media center is a big plus. He knows everything there is to know about it and does a good job of showing that in your podcast. Good podcast and production.

GWAR!!!! said...

This was a really helpful podcast to me. I was interested to know what that studio was all about, and your interview really helped to illuminate the subject for your audience. Well done.
-Ron

Sipher said...

I did think it was a little quiet in some parts, but it was very entertaining. I was interested in the information and it was well thought out. put together very well. Very good job